2022 Tax Season FAQs from Anfinson Thompson & Co.
** WHAT IS THE DEADLINE FOR MY TAX RETURN?
Due to enhanced security measures recommended by the IRS, deadlines are adjusted as noted:
- Returns with an April 18 due date will need to signed by April 13, 2023.
- Certain returns due March 1 will need to be signed by February 25, 2023.
- Returns that are due March 15 will need to be signed by March 10, 2023.
Returns not signed by the stated dates will be put on extension, otherwise you may receive a letter from the IRS to verify your identity and the processing of your return will be delayed. Any information received after April 1, 2023 (February 15 for March 1 filers or March 1 for March 15 filers) may also result in your return being placed on extension.
** WHAT IS AN IP PIN? AND SHOULD I HAVE ONE?
An IP PIN is a 6-digit number assigned to taxpayers to help prevent their personal information from being used to file fraudulent income tax returns. An IP PIN helps the IRS verify your identity when your tax return is filed. Obtaining an IP PIN is a proactive step to protect yourself from tax-related identity theft.
For more information or to apply for an IP PIN, you can visit https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin .
** HOW AM I ABLE TO MEET WITH MY PREPARER?
We continue to meet with clients and, in some cases, have pre-scheduled your appointment. If you have health concerns, or are not feeling well the day of your appointment, you may consider arranging a remote appointment via telephone or internet, or reschedule to another time.
Note: If you have a scheduled appointment, we ask that you drop-off your information one to two weeks before the appointment. This will allow us to use the appointment time in a more productive and efficient manner. We may contact you to reschedule if we have not received your information prior to your appointment.
** ARE MASKS REQUIRED IN YOUR OFFICE?
We do not require masks to be worn in our offices. If you choose to wear a mask, you are welcome to do so. If you would like us to wear a mask, please let us know and we would be happy to wear one.
** HOW DO I RECEIVE MY COMPLETED TAX RETURN?
- Client Portal – A copy of your tax return and signature documents will be uploaded through our secure, online portal. You can save this information and print whichever forms are necessary for signing or making payments.
- DocuSign E-signature – Your tax return is sent to you by a secure encrypted email using an online signing platform called DocuSign. You will be asked a series of identity verification questions and prompted to sign electronically and submit the information back to us with the click of a button.
- Mail – We can mail your return to you; however, additional postage fees will apply.
- In-person – Stop in our office to sign and pick-up your return.
** HOW CAN I DROP OFF MY TAX INFORMATION?
If you have a tax appointment, we ask that we receive your information one to two weeks prior to your appointment. This will allow us to use your appointment time in a more productive and efficient manner. We may contact you to reschedule if we have not received your information prior to your appointment.
We have multiple drop off options for you, as follows:
- Drop Box – Most offices have a drop box for you to use to leave your information. You may also leave your information with a staff member at the front desk.
- Email – You may email your information but this is not a secure method – contact our office and we will send you a link to upload your information to our secure client portal.
- Mail – You may mail your information to us, it will be returned once we complete your tax return.
- Fax – You may fax your information to our office if other options are not easily attainable.